Welcome to the Ontario Divorce Legal Issues Forum. Please post your topics and questions for discussion. Our lawyers WILL RESPOND to the posted issues. It may take several days for a response to be posted by our lawyers.
Moderators: cscharff, PaulSlan
Ex-Spouse has recently been taken a severance package, and proceeded to take a job at 1/3rd of previous wages. Now claiming hardship at paying child support, and seeking a reduction moving forward. Doesn't want to include the severance package as part of Line 150 comparison. Also remarried and has a spouse living in home. It is a 50/50 joint custody, with both parties making $150K or more. We compare Line 150s, and come up with a child support based on guidelines.
What is impact of severance and new spouse?
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 am
You have raised 3 issues:
1) re-marriage is irrelevant to child support obligations
2) if your former spouse in intentionally under-employed, the court may impute additional income to him or her for child support purposes
3) I am not quite sure how to treat the severance . It is replacement income and should be included in l.150, in my view. However, if l.150 for a given year is an aberration, the court may look at income over the past 3 years (see s.17 CSG).
- Posts: 295
- Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:48 pm
Return to Legal Issues - LAWYERS WILL RESPOND
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests